Skip to content

The Weather Outside is Frightful…

28 December 2010

so I’ve busied myself by making food.  Lots of food.

I know, I know.  Food = calories.  I know the equation well.  But in the spirit of the holidays, I’ve decided not to be (too) neurotic about what I’m eating. If I put good stuff into my body 80% of the time, that leaves 20% for indulgence.  And that ain’t too bad.

Now, I’m not condoning stuffing your face with anything and everything you can find, but, rather, to choose indulgences carefully.  They can even be semi-healthy (gasp!).

Take, for example, these noms!  Delectable, yet not entirely destructive.

We are Popcorn People.  And we hail from outer space.  But seriously, my family has a serious affinity for the snack.  We love our at-home popcorn maker (and I just got an air popper for Christmas!) and will occasionally go to the movies just for the snacking.  So one night, I had a hankering for something a little different than our normal salt-and-oil routine, so I whipped up (a few) batches of kettle corn!  It was dangerous – we couldn’t put it down!

And was it difficult to make?  Not at all, my friends.

Kettle Corn

You’ll need:

  • 1/4 c. unpopped kernels (I like the Orville Redenbacher’s brand)
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat.  When bubbling, add the butter.  Once the two are melted and mixed, turn down the heat to medium-low and pour in the kernels.  Move the saucepan constantly back and forth on the burner as to avoid burning the popcorn.  When the kernels are about to pop, pour the sugar and salt evenly in the pot.  Close it and continue to move the saucepan back and forth on the burner until the kernels are popped.  Be careful: do not wait until you hear the last kernels pop because sugar is very easily burned!  It is better to take the pot off the burner early!

Rachel Wilkerson’s Vanilla Hot Cocoa

I must admit, I’ve made this recipe a bit more than I probably should have.  I just can’t resist!

And the pièce de résistance: my very own Oatmeal Pancakes.

They are pretty much the most delicious pancakes in the entire world.

  1. Combine 1 c. unsweetened almond milk & 3/4 c. quick oats in a bowl.  Let stand.
  2. In another bowl, combine 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour, 1/4 c. vanilla protein powder, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon.
  3. Add 1/8 c. regular store-bought applesauce, 1/4 c. mashed banana, 3/4 tsp. vanilla to the oatmeal mixture.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
  5. Toss in unsweetened carob chips and sliced banana, if desired.
  6. Fry up in a skillet on low-medium heat with non-stick spray.
  7. Serve with sliced blueberries and strawberries.

(Makes 2 generous servings.)

These pancakes taste really hearty and have the perfect amount of sweetness – AND, they’re vegan and gluten-free (if you’re into that!). Animal eater or not, these pancakes really can’t be beat.

So be merry, and eat. A lot.

Happy New Years!

Elizabeth

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: